Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wikipedia building faith in mankind

The success of wikipedia boosts my faith in mankind. Ten years ago, who would have thought that a website would be developed called a ‘wiki’ where anyone in the world in any language can assist in developing an online encyclopedia that professionals, experts and the average Joe all go to learn about our world and its happenings. This wiki, collaboratively built by people all over the world in all walks of life and areas of interest and expertise, has become “the poster child for the collaborative construction of knowledge and truth that the new, interactive Web facilitates” (Richardson, 2009, p.57). This is amazing! A webpage built by people for the people is becoming a definite source in recording history, knowledge and truth known to the people who created it! But is this the view educators have of wikipedia? Do they trust humankind to be responsible editors of this resource and record of our world? Richardson (2009) notes that, “the consensus among educators seems to be to tell students to use Wikipedia as a starting point for their work, but not as a sole resource” (p.60).

I am sorry to hear that educators as so skeptical of such an amazing resource. Do I think all information on wikipedia is accurate, current or the best out there? Not at all. But it is a fantastic representation of the information our students are going to be engaging in and exploring in their childhood and adult lives as the internet and web 2.0 tools such as wikis continue to develop and be a part of our everyday lives.

World-wide created wikis, such as Wikipedia, is not the only type of wiki out there. McPherson (2006) distinguishes between classroom-based wikis and public wikis. Class-room based wikis, as the title suggests, are created and used by students and teachers in the classroom while pubic wikis are open to the public to review, read and edit.

Wikis are the epitome of the read/write web. They are user-friendly to create, maintain and develop and all for all users to contribute to the goal of the wiki. This is why I believe classroom-based wikis are a valuable educational tool.

So for us educators who do favor wikipedia and the use of wikis in our classroom as learning tools, how can this tool be integrated into the curriculum to provide authentic and engaging learning experiences for our students? Here are some of my ideas for how I can use wikis in the school library where I work:

  1. Set up a wiki entitled ‘Latimer’s Likings’ where students can submit book reviews and collaboratively build a page for each book they want to promote in the school library. The wiki can be linked in our Virtual School Library where students go to access library information and our online catalogue. Library users can refer to the wiki at their leisure at home or in the school library when selecting their next book.
  2. One of our school goals is literacy and a district developed reading program has been presented in our school. A team of 12 teachers works together, under my co-facilitation, to implement this program. As a leader in this initiative, I can set up a wiki where all team members can post their lessons and ideas on how they are and could integrate the program into their classroom lessons and units. Teachers can refer to the wiki to get new ideas, add and edit other teachers’ ideas. Specifically, once a teacher has created an initial posting, other teachers can add their own ideas and name resources to support the lesson. The team, which does not have a lot of time to meet together, can work together when it suits our personal schedules.
  3. In my district, a new program promoting picture books entitled ‘Surrey Picture Book of the Year’ is a contest run in all elementary schools to choose from a list of 10 nominated picture books a winner! In January, I will spend two months reading each book to my library classes (K-4) and developing a wiki that all students can access, edit and contribute to create a review of each book. At the end of discussing and exploring each book on the wiki, classes will read and comment on each others wikis to engage in discussion as to which book our class is going to vote for to become the winner.
  4. I would also like to explore using wikis as a way of differentiating instruction for students who have written output issues. A program called Dragons Naturally Speaking which allows students to wear a headset with microphone, speak into the headset their ideas and learning and the words are typed onto the computer program open. I can create a wiki for teachers who have students using this program where their work can be posted and edited by themselves, their teacher and other students who may be working with them.

These are 4 examples of the many ways I can see wikis being used in my teaching situation and look forward to the new ideas that I will have once exploring these avenues. I am confident that these wikis will promote excitement for how the tool can be used to support teaching and learning. The hope is that this introduction to wikis in my school will open communication lines between me and other teachers to discuss and brainstorm new ideas for using wikis in the classroom – both classroom-based and public wikis.

Now that I have ideas, I need to find the wiki provider that will work best. I have experience with both wikispaces and more recently pbwiki. I am personally fond of pbwiki as I find it easier to create, edit and format pages. On pbwiki it is also easy to embed YouTube videos and upload documents to link and add to your wiki. I am presently working on co-developing a pbwiki for a e-presentation for a curriculum development course I am currently taking. It is on the topic of Teacher as Change Agent. As the wiki is public, you can view it out by clicking here. I am also working on another wiki as a communication tool between myself, my colleagues and my adviser who are working on a literature review. This is a private wiki and cannot be viewed unless you are a registered user - sorry!

In the exploration of wikis with my students, I hope that students and teachers will learn to appreciate the potential of mankind through such a collaborative tool. If they are still not convinced, maybe viewing the following Teacher Tube video about the blog and wiki experiences of the students at Te Amawutu Intermediate School will persuade them!


References

McPherson, K. (2006). Wikis and literacy development. Teacher Librarian, 34(1), 67-69,66. Retrieved October 22, 2008, from ProQuest Education Journals database. (Document ID: 1135118251).

Richardson, W. (2009). Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.

3 comments:

Jo-Anne Gibson said...

Andrea,
Once again, you have some great ideas about how the web 2.0 tools we've been learning about, in this case wikis, of course, can be infused in the curriculum.

Jo-Anne

Joanne said...

Thanks, Andrea. I love your ideas for using wikis with your students and staff. I think the idea of using wikis to promote books in your library is especially good--I used to do something similar but in a low tech way. Children would read a book and then create a display about their book that they used to 'sell' that book to their classmates. We used to have a book fair (kind of like science fair) set up in the classroom or library and the kids would have to talk to their classmates about their book and try to convince them to read it. A wiki would be a great place to do something similar in an electronic way!

Carol said...

Andrea,
There is much skepticism about Wikipedia. I will admit that I had concerns about using it with students eve though I used it myself. I guess my thought was not wanting students to use Wikipedia as the 'be all end all' in the research/inquiry process.

carol t